Solar Panel Roof Cleaning
Solar Panel Roof Cleaning. There are ways to determine if your solar panels need cleaning to begin with. One is physical inspection of the panels for debris, dirt, bird droppings.
- The first thing you want to do is to check with your solar panel manufacturer. They might have specific recommendations for cleaning.
- Solar panels can become incredibly hot in sunshine. Either clean your solar panels in the morning/afternoon, or pick a relatively cool day.
- Try using a garden hose first; that alone might handle the job. However, if a lot of dust and dirt has accumulated, you might need to give them a more thorough clean.
- Fill a bucket or spray bottle with warm water and soap – no other special equipment is needed.
- Clean the surface of the solar panel with a soft cloth or sponge. You do not have to clean the wiring underneath.
- Show extra caution if cleaning your solar panels requires you to climb up on the roof.
Depending on how filthy the panels are, cleaning solar panels can improve energy production by 5-10%.
Quick calculations will show that cleaning small residential systems would only improve your energy bill by tens of dollars, so you might as well leave it to rainwater to rinse the solar panels on your angled roof.
But a 5-10% lift in energy production can move the needle on commercial and utility-scale solar farms, and those are situations where you might consider a regular PV panel cleaning schedule or even hiring professional panel cleaners.
Considering something like the cleanliness of your solar panels tells us that you’re an intelligent person. Along with panel cleanliness, we recommend that you also focus on maintaining the function of your solar energy system, including your panels and any other equipment installed on your home.
Avoid using hard, or mineral rich, water. It can damage panels over time. If your area only has hard tap water, you can buy an inexpensive water-softening hose attachment to filter out minerals. Otherwise, you can use distilled or de-ionized water.
Don’t use abrasive brushes, pads or powders.
Clean early in the morning or in the evening when the panels are cool. During the heat of the day, water can damage your panels, resulting in voiding your warranty.
When using a high-pressure water nozzle, don’t get close to the panels. While they’re extremely durable, you don’t want to damage them.
Solar Panel Roof Cleaning
If you are interested in having your home or business a roof restoration, please click here for our Roof Restorations Gold Coast professionals to schedule an appointment.